Thursday, August 31, 2017

A Magical Formula In Tackling Your Worries

Like many of us out there, I was once completely consumed by stress. I couldn't sleep for months and I had no idea how to escape the viscous cycle. I finally found a remedy when I dropped by the self-help section of the bookstore and checked out the book 'How to Stop Worrying and Start Living' by Dale Carnegie. After reading this book, I saw things in a whole new light and began a period of good mental health. I highly advocate this book to anyone who feels 'stuck'. I enjoyed the book as it provides many case studies on how many individuals overcame their depression and started enjoying life.

My biggest learning point from this book was the Willis. H. Carrier formula, a 3-step process that has helped me maintain a positive attitude in the most stressful situations.

Step 1: What is the worst case scenario?

Step 2: Be mentally prepared for the worst-case scenario. (You should spend the most time on this step)

Step 3: After you have accepted the worst, try to improve upon it.

Let's demonstrate the use of this formula: Nancy recently graduated from university, however she has not been successful in finding a job for over half a year now.

Step 1: Nancy, what is the worst case scenario? I am scared that I might not be able to find something for the next half a year as well. Also, I cannot pay my student loans as it gets more and more expensive. On top of all this, a year of unemployment will make me less appealing to future employers.

Step 2: Be mentally prepared for the worst-case scenario. Ideally I would be employed within the next few months so I wouldn't have to think about all this. However, in case that I'm still unemployed by the end of the year, I might consider going to graduate school and just write this year off as personal development. I can also move back to my parents in the meantime to cut down on costs. With the economy as bad as this, graduate unemployment is normal. About half of my classmates are in the same situation.

Step 3: Try to improve the worst-case scenario (If Nancy properly worked on step 2, she should be in a better mental state to make more logical decisions). It might help if I start talking to people who were in my situation but found jobs eventually. I have not been flexible in my choices and maybe I can change my old approach in job searching.

To get an idea of the full extent of the effects of the formula, I recommend that you read the book.

No comments:

Popular content